While holiday lighting and electrical decorations contribute to the splendor of the season, they can also significantly increase the risk of fires and electric injuries if they are not used safely.
Having your electrical system inspected by a licensed electrician is the first step in ensuring the safety of your family during the holiday season.18 Even if you have already set up your holiday decorations, now is a good time to review your work.
Holiday lights can illuminate the season – literally and emotionally – but they also present potential risks for fire and shock. Before you install the lighting for your holiday, take the extra time to check for security to protect people and property.26
Check smoke detectors and replace batteries. Life expectancy for old smoke detectors is 5 years for newer ones it is 10 years.
Before hanging holiday lights or other electrical decorations, check them carefully for broken insulation, exposed cabling, broken luminaires or other potential safety risks.15
A few more tips that will make your holidays brighter:
You don’ t need to read your electricity bill to know that outdoor Christmas lights can draw a lot of power .
Electrical problems and domestic fires can occur at any time of year, but winter has a specific set of risks. Hanging holiday lights can prove dangerous if your home’s outdoor outlets are not up to code.18
Don’t overload your fuse/circuit breaker box.
When buying holiday lights, check the box to make sure that they are approved for outdoor use. Decorating the exterior of your home with lights that are not specifically designed to withstand the weather can be dangerous.17
Do not use indoor lights outside ( the use of outdoor lights in the house is not a big deal ) .20
With all the decorations and holiday party plans in progress, it is easy to forget the appropriate safety precautions . The lamps certified for outdoor use are specifically designed to withstand cold and wet conditions, and the lights that are certified for indoor use have been tested to ensure that they are not fire hazard for trees .27
Do not leave Christmas tree lights on when you are not home.
Lights, gifts, parties : The holiday season can be a magical time of year, but The things that bring magic can also pose security risks . In houses with small children, be careful to avoid sharp and broken ornaments, and keep the trimmings with small removable parts outside the child’s reach . Place older ornaments and decorations that can be painted with lead paint outside the reach of small children and pets .14
In addition, use safety plugs on all electrical outlets that are not used to prevent shock .30
Make sure that trees and other holiday decorations do not block an external door in your home .7
Do no run extension cord under rugs.
While holiday decorating is all about adding fun, sparks and warmth to a very special Season, it is important to remember that many of our favorite decorations run the risk of fire or electric injuries if you Don’ t use them carefully .1
Do not use extension cords for permanent wiring.
The safety of the holiday fire does not need to be another big thing on your growing holiday list .19
During this holiday season, our warmest wishes go out to our customers who continue to help us move forward.
To all our customers, associates, business partners, family and friends. We are very thankful for your patronage.Wish you and your family health, happiness, peace and prosperity for the holiday season and the next Year.
Happy Holidays from all of us at Antonio Ceriello Electric
- Cited Sources
- https://www.esfi.org/resource/holiday-decorating-safety-342 0
- https://www.cableorganizer.com/learning-center/articles/holiday-safety-tips.html 1
- https://www.thesilverlining.com/safety-resources/tips-to-help-avoid-losses/auto-tips/make-your-holidays-safe 7
- https://www.geico.com/more/living/home-protection/preventing-holiday-hazards/ 13
- https://www.nachi.org/holidaysafety.htm?utm_source=hootsuite 14
- https://savehomeheat.com/practice-electrical-safety-this-holiday-season/ 15
- https://www.vectorsecurity.com/blog/holiday-lights-4-tricks-to-save-on-electric-costs-and-maintain-safety 17
- https://mrelectric.com/blog/the-holiday-season-is-a-great-time-for-an-electrical-safety-inspection 18
- https://www.verywellhealth.com/christmas-light-safety-1298810 20
- https://www.gulfpowernews.com/making-the-season-merry-and-bright/ 23
- http://www.thecenterofinsurance.com/blog/bright-idea-check-your-holiday-lights.aspx 26
- https://www.1000bulbs.com/pages/christmas-lights-guide-overview.html 29
- https://www.firstenergycorp.com/content/customer/help/safety/using-electricity/holiday-decorating.html 30